Projects and programs that educate, unify and empower LGBTQ+ people as integral members of Hawaii’s larger diverse community. To have your program listed, contact: email@example.com
- This event has passed.
Submissions deadline: Portraits of Gender Diversity in the Pacific
Submit photos and responses for consideration by September 30, 2020 to: PacificPortraits@yahoo.com The creative team behind award-winning films Kumu Hina and Leitis in Waiting is partnering with the Bishop Museum in Honolulu to stage an exhibition featuring a collection of portraits that capture the nuance and diversity of gender identity and expression in the Pacific Islands.
The exhibition — based on Kapaemahu, the team’s animated short about a monument on Waikiki Beach that honors the skills and contributions of four mahu — individuals of dual male and female spirit — who brought the healing arts from Tahiti to Hawaii — will explore Oceania’s long history of gender diversity and inclusion, as well as foreign influences that sought to change it.
To reflect contemporary understandings and realities, Pacific Islanders across the gender spectrum are invited to participate by:
- Submitting 2 to 5 photographs that capture the person as they prefer to be seen. This should include a traditional portrait or selfie, as well as candid or action shots that convey essential aspects of one’s identity, however that may be defined or expressed. The person in the photo should be well lit and framed so that it’s clear they are the subject.
- Getting the highest possible digital resolution, whether on a mobile phone or professional camera. If the photos are too large to send by email, let us know and we’ll offer an easy alternative.
- Providing brief responses to these questions:
- What is your name?
- What island or region are you from?
- How do you self-identify? (e.g. By Native, Western, both or other terms?)
- Has your culture or community included, or excluded, you?
- What is most important to know about you?
- What are your hopes and aspirations for the future?
Submit photos and responses for consideration by September 30, 2020 to: PacificPortraits@yahoo.com